CONVERSION - [kənˈvəː(r)ʃən] s
transformation, change, transmutation, commutation
I use 3d not only for animations but also for visualizing ideas and when I lost the red line and ended up with something totally different, the idea of the conversion was born from. The process combines digital and analog techniques, simplified as "from 3D to 2D" and is a mixed reality project (MR), that allows me to create printings of abstract shapes and forms, morphing into typography and fineart illustrations.
So here’s the story of "CONVERSION":
When I scrolled threw the archives of 3D animation projects, I tumbled upon a sketch of cloned splines and somehow this caught my attention.
I started fooling around with the cloner settings, duplicating and rotating multiple clones in combination with the lights and hard shadows and what I saw was the beauty of abstract typography. Now when your eyes stuck on the animations running on the monitor, it remains a temporary eyecandy which disappears once you switch off the computer.
But by the conversion process, I found a way of turning the digital fadeaway into a everlasting analogue beauty.
With the use of Photoshop I transformed screenshot renderings into letters, traced them into vector graphics and sent them to my Axidraw Penplotter and the ABC started to come alive. I call this method CONVERSION, a transmutation from 3d to 2d which is a transformation from a virtual digital image to a tangible analog drawing. For the first series which ended up in an entire ABC, it took me more than 10 days with the Molotow blackliner fineliners, precisley redrawing the vector-lines on paper and as each letter took about 45 minutes to print, you can imagine it was a long way to the final poster . print result.
During the printing process I used the time to extract even more graffiti style 3d animations and fooled around with remixing them before grabbing single stills to create new 2d graphics, which later were of great use to experiment with plotting different colored acrylics on vinyl sleeves.
In a second step I picked out single letters for printinting on vinyl sleeves, where I started with combinations of contrasting colors, liquid chrome and different pencil-sizes.
During this process another typography came to live where I tried focusing more on linear arrangements, still going for an entire ABC series, less abstract and also much quicker in terms of plotting time. The entire CONVERSION series is work in progress and kind of open end as there are so many options in terms of combinations, repetitions, color choices and material mixtures.
So to say: the Conversion has just begun.